Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I walk in 3 Days

Dear friends and family, what can I say, I am so overwhelmed with your generous support of Rose's Journey--whether with money or prayers or words of encouragement and cheers--you have all outdone yourselves and I thank you much for your faithfulness. Every individual who is walking with me has experienced spontaneous acts of love and encouragement and we hope to in-turn share these with others as we walk. Since my arrival home--two weeks ago--it has been wonderful to see family and catch up with friends. I have also had many opportunities to engage others in the cause. I have on my computer more than 100 articles detailing stories of child sacrifice across the country. These stories are hard and their escalating numbers even more disturbing. The recent face is George Mukisa, one of our Hope Ward Patients. George is a 3 year old lovely boy whose private parts were mutilated by the neighbour (a witchdoctor). George's Father arrived back home one day to find the child missing (the mother had gone for a funeral and left the child in the care of other children). He then heard him crying in the garden near the house and hurried to find the boy abandoned and bleeding. The neighbour, being a witchdoctor was the prime suspect and on searching his shrine, the boys mutilated body parts were found (the witchdoctor was taken to prison). George was taken to Mulago Hospital (government main regional referral centre) and later, after his story was publicised, was moved (under the sponsorship of Stanbic Bank) to Hope Ward for possible reconstructive work. One of our Surgeons--Dr. Ben Khing--has been taking care of George and plans reconstructive surgery after the wounds heal. I am meeting George tomorrow, he is returning for an outpatient check, for wound dressing and for the Surgeon to make an assessment. George and many others like him are the reason I am walking this summer--I imagine that meeting him will be emotional. How can we look a child like George in the eyes and remain the same? He will be on the hearts of everyone come Saturday, and so will many of the children in the stories that I now know by heart. But as you know, the walk is not just about child sacrifice, it is a demonstration of our solidarity in this cause, in the support of hope ward and in the setting up of the scholarship fund. It is a celebration of Hope where there is so much horror and devastation. It is a pilgrimage in friendships, in faith, and a commitment to the healing of communities In a few days I shall be joined by so many people--friends and family, strangers and partners: Here are the details of our walk: For anyone who is in Uganda and would like to join us: We leave from International Hospital at 5:30AM. The vehicles will take us to Bamunanika my home village. We will start walking @ 6:30-7:00AM from the trading centre to Wobulenzi. If you want to join this segment please be sure to leave with us when we do at 5:30AM. We plan to arrive at Wobulenzi at Approx 9:00-9:30AM or earlier. If you are left behind at IHK please jump in the first taxi out to Wobulenzi-Luweero. Wait for us at Wobulenzi--there will be a car painted and signed by different local leaders with the logo "END CHILD SACRIFICE" you cannot miss it. You can join the walk there. We shall leave Wobulenzi at 10:00AM to walk to Luweero arriving at 1:00-1:30PM. If this is the segment you are walking, please make sure you do refreshments with us before you jump right back in a taxi to return to Kampala. Luweero is a resting point: we shall have speeches, media etc. We shall then leave Luweero to go to Kiwoko at 2:00PM arriving at Kiwoko at approx 5:30-6:00PM. The walk starts from the house where my father held the last meeting in which I was disowned for abandoning witchcraft and will end at the door of the house where i first met my Irish parents. There we will have refreshments and return to Kampala after 6:00PM. We hope to have several vehicles following the walk including an ambulance. I look forward to walking with you guys. I am so honored to do this with many of you in spirit. With Gratitude, always http://www.justgiving.com/rosenanyongac http://www.narrowroadintl.org/Narrow_Road%3A_Roses_Journey.html "Lord, be the goal of my pilgrimage, and my rest by the way." -St. Augustine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Rose and all who accompanined in this journey. I was not there physically but I prayed for the event. God bless your.

Mary Odiit