Tuesday, July 14, 2009

One hudred fourty four thousand footsteps to Kiwoko

Dear Friends and Family, I have not had a longer moment to send out an update. By now you all know we finished Rose's Journey successfully on Saturday. Folks, it was cathartic journeying with more than 60 people by my side or behind or ahead of me. Everywhere I looked, there was somebody walking with me. It was a great walk, simply freeing and hard too. Each of us experienced their moment of hitting the wall, but we kept on walking. My friend DJ who is a bit of a math whiz tells me that it took approximately 144,000 steps from Bamunanika to Kiwoko! I still cannot believe it. We left Bamunanika a little later than we had planned but were on Que by the time we left our first resting stop. The segment from Bamunanika to Wobulenzi was probably the easiest. I walked that stage with my Irish Mother, my brother Steven, and my friend Flavia and from time to time was joined by many of my best friends. At times it was memory lane, at other times it was a completely new walk, one full of hope and random acts of kindness. To say that I was emotional the whole day is an understatement! Many children joined my friends Kristen, Jen, Christina and Mike (The Breckenridge Crew) and made the reason for the walk even more meaningful. Even though I could not see everyone at the same time, I knew that they were there, repeating the same steps I took 20 years ago, experiencing a journey of their own, adding their voice to mine in a very public way. It was phenomenal.
I anchored the second leg of the walk and it took me a full three hours fifteen minutes to walk it. I had with me The film crew--Discover The Journey, Kisakye Pendo, a friend I have known for 16 years, and Shifa, a friend a i hadn't seen for 14 years! My former Professor from Baylor--Lori Spies, joined me for 30 minutes, and so did two other friends from Dallas. The team from Breckenridge stayed by my side for most of this leg and we encountered two profound moments together. One was when Pendo stopped at Emmause Centre to use a bathroom and ran into Joseph the director at the centre. Joseph inquired as to why we were walking and Pendo explained. When I caught up with her, she and Joseph and were waiting at the road side. Joseph wanted to meet me and had a message for me. He said "when I heard about your story, this village girl who walked 20 years earlier I had to meet you, what you are doing is so important...God is going to use this walk in profound ways...20 years from now, this journey will be remembered, again..." We all just stood there, listening to Joseph affirm the reasons why we walked. We could not help but weep together--for joy, for knowing, for random acts of compassion.
The second was when a choir of young children lined themselves up on the side of the highway and sang to us! Their song "Oh we are coming, we are coming today...we are coming today we are coming for you....we are dancing today we are dancing for you, we are singing today we are singing for you" left me speechless. I knew that many had come to walk with me but it was good to be reminded to celebrate this anniversary walk. It was also good to remember that we were being encouraged and watched over with singing...not just there but across the world and in heaven. At Luweero, I had an amazing opportunity to sign the "End child Sacrifice car" adding my name to many others including my Irish parents as well as the First Lady of Uganda.
I power walked the last leg as I wanted to be the first (among the walkers) to arrive, so I could receive everyone. It was almost impossible for others to keep up the pace and I am grateful to Hannah Magoola, another best friend who followed me in the car and walked with me from time to time, and Tom my brother who stayed at my side until his feet complained. Hannah and I sang my favorite hymn as we walked and when I felt faint she was quick to give me that last power bar. The final kilometer was simply impossible! I don't think I have experienced that much heat, and pain in my feet. I kept thinking--Kiwoko must be around the corner--and then it wouldn't! The film crew tagged along capturing many moments I probably would not want to watch again. I had renewed strength the moment Kiwoko signs came into view and walked the last mile with my friend DJ by my side. Kate Glerup, another friend whose flight had mechanical problems, called me one minute before I finished the walk--she was just starting hers in Breckenridge. Kate walked in Breckenridge, wearing the end child sacrifice t-shirt and accompanied by her dog Emma!! Her call was so timely.
The reception and finish at Kiwoko was so unexpected that the moment I saw my Dad (who had run the whole distance) I was so overcome with emotion I just bawled. The nursing students from Kiwoko School of Nursing lined up and danced infront of me as I walked into what used to be my Irish parent's garden when they lived at Kiwoko. My friends Ken and Judith Finch did an amazing job setting up the reception and it was a grand way to end the walk.
I saw my self in a new light, in the lives of many who wore the t-shirt with my picture on it and the words "END CHILD SACRIFICE," in the lives of the children on the road side who sang--we are dancing for you. I remembered where I come from and why I had walked and thought--it was and is worth every step. I admired the sheer determination of so many who persevered when the road ahead seemed endless...but still finished the walk. I could not have been any prouder of every single person who was present or was praying for us every second of the day. And What a way for my Irish Mother to make a statement! People will not forget the reasons we walked, the reasons we came together on July 11th 2009. This was not just my journey after all--it was a journey for everyone who participated in it. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me in your journeying too.
....More to come

3 comments:

Mark and Megan said...

What a powerful journey. Thanks for sharing how it went. Was thinking and praying for all of you. Jen has been keeping us posted via DJ. Sending lots of love and hugs your way!

Hannah said...

It is almost a week since Rose's Walk and I still can't find the words to express my feelings.

When people walk for a cause, we tend to think "how nice", "how thoughtful", "how noble" and often, we are in the sidelines and are not really involved in the 'detail'.

Rose's Walk gave me the privilege to be part of not only a worthy but very personal journey. The bits that I walked with Rose were incredibly 'raw' as she shared how she felt when she walked that journey as a teenager. How can we possibly appreciate the loneliness, the fear, the uncertainty... And how amazing to see the power of hope - as Rose walked, I saw the picture of hope, of true kindness (as she hugged the group of young children who sang for us by the roadside), of incredible determination and resolve (as she kept walking even as she was faint from the effort and the sun), the miracle of life, love and opportunity (as I tried to picture how the scared teenager could possibly have become this assured, determined, powerful and inspiring woman that Rose is today). How can you take that all in without fighting tears back as you ponder about the miracle of living and love...

As I watched the people walk, I knew that it was only love that would make them join Rose on such a walk - it was a hard, long walk! But even after the blisters, some sun burn, aches and all - everyone I talked to was just so honored to be part of it all. It is such a privilege to be part of something with a purpose to help others and give voice to a cause.

And most of all I cannot wait to see the fruits of this walk, to see the lives that will hopefully be changed through this.

But most of all I am so proud of every single person who walked, every one who contributed to make this possible and to Rose, for always carrying a candle that never goes out but lights more and more candles around her, to touch those around her with compassion. It is such an honor to know you and to call you friend.

RNC said...

Thank you Mark and Megan and thank you Hannah. I am inspired by you and I thank you for staying with me through the bits that are sometimes dark. Your companionship is a true gift and I am so thankful to know you and call you my friend.
With Gratitude--I am posting your feedback in the main blog.
Rose